Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Anonymous

Why do some people feel the need to bully others?
When I was growing up which wasn’t all that long ago
it wasn’t uncommon to hear that someone had been in a fight
with a bully in school and
the victim was taking a stand against them
The worst that happened was that
one or both got suspended for a few days

I remember the days before cell phone cameras and the internet
when fights weren’t about to go viral with just one click of a mouse
What happened to that saying our parents drilled into our heads?
If you can’t say anything nice
don’t say anything at all


Now bullying can happen
anywhere one can find an internet connection
Bullies can post anything they want online
all while being under an anonymous cover

Do we still believe in the saying
sticks and stones may break my bones but
words will never hurt me?
Well, I’m telling you I don’t
All we have to do these days is
watch the news so we can see how untrue that saying really is
If we’re not careful words can kill

To those that are bullying others
I say put yourself in the other person’s shoes
Would you like it if they were bullying you?
Here’s another piece of advice
If you wouldn’t say what you’re about to
post to someone’s face
don’t post it

No comments:

Post a Comment